IL-6 has been described as both a pro- and anti-inflammatory molecule, a modulator of bone resorption, a promoter of hematopoiesis, and an inducer of plasma cell development. When dealing with large clinical trials, speed, reproducibility and accuracy become major limiting factors in the quantification of Human IL6 in serum, plasma and urine.
HAMILTON offers an automated solution for both an accurate and reproducible method for the relatively high throughput measurement of human IL-6. The Quantikine HS IL-6 Immunoassay is a 5.5 hour solid-phase ELISA that employs the quantitative sandwich enzyme immunoassay technique. A monoclonal antibody specific for IL-6 is pre-coated onto a microplate. Standards and samples are pipetted into the wells and any IL-6 present is bound by the immobilized antibody. After washing away any unbound substances, an enzyme-linked polyclonal antibody specific for IL-6 is added to the wells. Following a wash to remove any unbound antibody-enzyme reagent, a substrate solution is added to the wells. After an incubation period, an amplifier solution is added to the wells and color develops in proportion to the amount of IL-6 bound in the initial step. The color development is stopped and the intensity of the color is measured.
Up to 160 clinical samples can be quantified using Quantikine HS human IL-6 solid phase ELISA over a period of 6 hours. The throughput can be increased by incorporating more sample carriers onto to the deck and by repeating the process in batches of 160 samples. The main advantage of Hamilton's MICROLAB STAR and Vector software is easy integration and control of third party equipment to enable up to 4 plates per batch to be completed without user intervention.
Conducting solid phase ELISA on the STAR produces results that are comparable to manually produced assays in terms of both accuracy and reproducibility.
- Up to 160 clinical samples can be processed without user intervention
- A flexible platform that allows incorporation of a wide range of third party equipment
- Vector software is a powerful tool which allows synchronous processing of multiple samples
- The flexible liquid handling capabilities of the MICROLAB STAR ensure that pipetting variation is minimal
- MICROLAB STAR 8 channels with Autoload option and iSWAP integrated plate handler
- Active wash station
- MICROLAB SWAP for external plate handling
- 4 H&P Teleshakers • Biotek plate washer
- BMG FLUOstar plate reader