A fully automated system for 3D scale-up of Human Neural Stem Cells
Introduction: Fully automated Microcarrier based Suspension Cultivation
The increased demand for cells that more closely mimic in vivo functions require novel cell culture approaches. We developed a complete automated 3D cell culture system that we used to streamline the cell culture process of human Neural Stem Cells (hNSC) (Fig. 1): GEMs (Global Eucaryotic Microcarriers) are microcarriers uniquely designed for cell culture. The BioLevitator supports the complete cell culture process from inoculation to harvesting. The 3D CellHOST automates parallel scale-up of different cultures at a medium-scale level.
Results: Fully automated 3D CellHOST mediated Expansion of Human Neural Stem Cells
- Evaluation of 3D CellHOST mediated Expansion of human ES cell-derived Neural Stem Cultures (hESNSC)
- Cultivated cells: hESNSC
- 3D CellHOST cultivated hESNSC yielded higher cell numbers per area than their 2D counterparts
- Characterization of lt-hESNSCs after fully automated 3D CellHOST-mediated expansion
- lt-hESNSC maintain their typical morphology and metabolic activity. Their proliferation rate under scale-up conditions is enhanced.
- lt-hESNSC remain undifferentiated after fully automated 3D CellHOST-mediated expansion.
Conclusion and Outlook
Conclusion: Fully automated 3D CellHOST-mediated cultivation of lt-hESNSC:
- Facilitated higher cell yields per cm2.
- Was shown to maintain typical morphological characteristics and metabolic activity of lt-hESNSC, thus demonstrating its biological compatibility (Figure 4).
- Enhanced the proliferation abilities of high-density cultures.
- Supported undifferentiated growth of lt-hESNSC.
Outlook : Automated 3D cell culture opens the path towards using cells as reagents.
- Uncoupled cell culture from down stream assays.
- From freezer to assay in one step.
- Automated 3D CellHOST mediated culture could facilitate parallel scale-up of pluripotent Stem Cells and their differentiated progeny.